8:00 - 8:30am Welcome
- Arrivals, Setup for hands-on workshop (coffee provided)
8:30 - 9:30am Indigenous Mapping Overview -
- why do an indigenous mapping project? what are some of the social, political and legal contexts for indigenous mapping? How can these mapping maps be used for indigenous litigation, claims processes, land use planning, resource management, impact assessment, inter-generational education within community, and education of broader community?
- examples of Indigenous mapping projects from around the world
9:30 - 10:15am Indigenous Mapping with Google Earth
- using the direct-to-digital method for indigenous land use map biographies in Google Earth
- introduction to Google EArth navigation, imagery and ui
10:15 - 10:30am Break (coffee and snacks provided)
10:30am - 12:30pm Indigenous Mapping with Google Earth (continued...)
- annotation in Google Earth and the map biography method for indigenous land use mapping
- intermediate Google Earth skills: folders; styling infowindows
- sharing your Google Earth maps: sharing KML/KMZ; exporting & printing images; Touring and presentations
12:30 - 1:00pm Lunch (sandwich boxes and drinks will be provided)
1:00 - 1:45pm Structured Data Collection
- using spreadsheets to organize and publish indigenous mapping data using Fusion Tables.
1:45 - 2:15pm Sharing Indigenous Maps with the World
- making powerful, multi-media rich maps using Google MyMaps
- discussions about issues of privacy, ownership and confidentiality of data stored locally and in the cloud
2:15 - 2:30 Break (coffee and snacks provided)
2:30 - 3:30 Visualizing & Storytelling with Google Earth
- impressive visualization and story telling techniques using Google Tour Builder, Street View and Google Cardboard.
3:30 - 4:30 Mobile Data Collection
- using Android smartphones and tablets for field data collection with Open Data Kit (ODK).
4:30 - 5:00 Sharing your Visions of Indigenous Mapping
- time for Q&A on all the skills reviewed during the day
- time for people to share what vision they have for indigenous mapping projects at home.
- review the resources available to them after the workshop